Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Sea Urchin Gene Networks

Hi! My name is Eden Rouse and I am working in Greg Wray's lab, though he is currently on a trip to Africa. This lab's primary organism is the purple sea urchin (Strongylocentrotus purpuratus). A room near the lab houses a collection of live sea urchins from all along California's coast. Right now, the lab is working on an 8 by 8 cross with the purple sea urchin and one other species of sea urchin. They sequence the genomes of each parent, then select individual offspring to analyze. They hope to gain valuable insight into the evolutionary history of the purple sea urchin's genome as well as observe differences in populations by analyzing SNPs, which are specific point mutations in an individual's DNA. Common techniques used in the lab are gel electrophoresis, PCR, DNA purification, and gel extraction. I'm sure I will learn many more techniques as I continue working in the lab. The sea urchins are kept in artificial seawater tanks where they are fed and attended to. On my first day, I got to touch a sea urchin for the first time. I was afraid that the spines of the urchin would hurt, but I was able to hold the urchin in my hand. I also learned that sea urchins can actually move. To extract DNA from the urchin, you must pull out a spine and collect the clump of meat on the end. The lab works with the sea urchin's genome because it is a model organism and much genetic research has already been done on it, so for example, PCRs are easy to do because you already know the primer sequence to be used if you want to amplify a specific gene or bp sequence. This lab is interested in the evolutionary history of specifically the DNA of s. purpuratus as well as gene networks (these are groups of genes that work together to create a certain biological organ or limb or structure. One gene's expression affects the transcription of another.). So far this week, I have witnessed a gel electrophoresis, a gel extraction, and I started doing PCR today. It was my first time, so I learned a lot. I got to use a fancy micropipette that automatically dispences and extracts liquid, and also allows the user to dispense in repetitions. All the technology and new protocols in the lab are exciting; I can't wait to start my project.

1 comment:

Erica said...

Neat that you got to hold a sea urchin! Sounds like you're going to be exposed to a lot of molecular biology techniques this summer. Great first week.