Sunday, June 24, 2007

Week Two!

The latter half of this week, I started the fun and TBS-filled process of staining brain tissue to identify new neurons by a protein that they contain. It's a pretty interesting process, and a delicate one! The brain tissue is paper-thin, and must be transfered from filter to filter and vial to vial. And, of course, it must be rinsed in TBS three times after every move for five minutes at a time. My mentor and I took a peek at an un-covered piece of tissue on Friday right after we finished staining it with Vector Grey, and so far it looks fantastic. Monday, I will be arranging the brains in a particular order on gel-coated slides and cover-slipping them. Arranging them is very challenging, and I hope I do well!
I have also met a few other people in the lab this week. There are a few graduate students, who have just gone to California for a big conference, and a few undergraduate students from a different summer research program at Duke. Some are in the MOB program (not sure what that stands for!), and one is a Duke senior working on a big project that will be presented in San Diego in November. There is also a Howard Hughes undergraduate, though I have not had the chance to meet her just yet. All around me there is interesting work going on, and I've been looking in during my many TBS rinses!

No comments: