Sunday, July 15, 2007

BuSy Week With the ADHD samples!!!!

On Monday, I was able to plate my ADHD DNA using the Biomek robot. This made me extremely excited because I was finally able to start on my project. I left the plates to dry overnight at room temperature. The following day, I began working on my assays involving the ALAD gene and the VDR gene. I made 18 Taqman plates for 9 assays and ran 14 of those plates onto the PCR machine. I then scanned them on the 7900HT machine. Most of my TAqman went well except for two plates. Next, for Wednesday, I had to re-run the two plates that failed. I also ran 6 more plates on the PCR machine and made 2 plates for a single assay. I scanned those plates as well and they turned out great. For the rest of the day, I had to plate 20 extra plates using the Biomek robot. On Thursday, I made 5 Taqman plates in the morning. I ran them using the PCR machine and scanned them afterwards. I then added markers and detectors. Fortunately, they looked great. In the afternoon, I ran about 5 more plates and scanned them. In addition, the fire alarm went off again for the second time since I have been in CHG. On Friday, I really enjoyed the talk by Ms. Cleaver. It gave me many tips in applying for college. After that, I went to my lab and ran and scanned some plates that I had made prior. I also helped Kaia by making two agarose gels for her and running her PCR samples. Some looked good but the rest failed. Chris then helped me submit my data so that I could view them with a statistician next week. Unfortunately, two failed to submit but I’ll be able to do that on Monday. Overall, I had an exciting and this week was probably the busiest for me by far.

No comments: